The online training course is broken down into small, manageable sections designed to improve your learning. At the end of each section is a multiple-choice quiz.
- You are required to get all questions in a section correct before moving to the next section.
- If you answer any of the questions incorrectly, you will only be required to answer those questions again
- You can review the learning materials during the assessment.
- You can take the assessment / quizzes as many times as you need
The Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) course covers the following elements as essential outcomes of this unit of competency. Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
Elements and Performance Criteria
Sell or serve alcohol responsibly.
- Sell or serve alcohol according to provisions of relevant state or territory legislation, licensing requirements and responsible service of alcohol principles.
- Where appropriate, request and obtain acceptable proof of age prior to sale or service.
- Provide accurate information to customers on alcoholic beverages according to organisation or house policy and government legislation.
- Assist customers with information on the range of non-alcoholic beverages available for purchase.
- Identify issues related to the sale or service of alcohol to different types of customers, especially those at risk, and incorporate them into sales or service.
Assist customers to drink within appropriate limits.
- Prepare and serve standard drinks or samples according to industry requirements and professional standards.
- Use a professional manner to encourage customers to drink within appropriate limits.
- Recognise erratic drinking patterns as an early sign of possible intoxication and take appropriate action.
- Monitor emotional and physical state of customers for signs of intoxication and effects of illicit or other drug use.
- Where appropriate, offer food and non alcoholic beverages.
- Decline requests for alcohol to be dispensed in a manner that is irresponsible and advise customers of the reasons for the refusal.
Assess alcohol affected customers and identify customers to whom sale or service must be refused.
- Assess intoxication levels of customers using appropriate methods.
- When assessing intoxication, take into account factors that may affect individual responses to alcohol.
- Identify customers to whom sale or service must be refused according to state and territory legislation.
Refuse to provide alcohol.
- Refuse sale or service in a professional manner, state reasons for the refusal, and where appropriate point out signage.
- Provide appropriate assistance to customers when refusing service.
- Where appropriate, give customers a verbal warning and ask them to leave the premises according to organisation or house requirements, the specific situation and provisions of state or territory legislation and regulations.
- Use appropriate communication and conflict resolution skills to handle difficult situations.
- Refer difficult situations beyond the scope of individual responsibility to the appropriate person.
- Promptly identify situations that pose a threat to the safety or security of colleagues, customers or property, and seek assistance from appropriate colleagues according to organisational policy.