There are 3 core elements in the HLTFSE001 Follow Basic Food Safety Practices course to complete followed by a final assessment. This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to comply with personal hygiene, maintain food safety, contribute to cleanliness of food handling areas and dispose of food.
This unit applies to food services workers who work under supervision and within defined guidelines.
The skills in this unit must be applied in accordance with Commonwealth and State/Territory legislation, Australian/New Zealand standards and industry codes of practice.
Comply with personal hygiene standards as required by the food safety program
- Follow personal hygiene procedures
- Report health conditions and/or illness and follow organisation procedures for continuing participation in food services
- Follow organisation requirements for wearing bandages and dressings
- Wear appropriate clothing, personal protective clothing and footwear and maintain cleanliness to avoid contamination
- Follow hand washing procedures and use required facilities
Contribute to the cleanliness of food handling areas according to the food safety program
- Maintain the workplace in a clean and tidy order to meet workplace requirements
- Comply with workplace measures to prevent pests entering food premises
- Identify and report indicators of pest presence
Follow food safety program
- Handle and store food according to the food safety program
- Store, use and dispose of single use items appropriately to avoid damage and contamination
- Keep food for disposal separate and follow procedures for food disposal
- Identify and report processes and practices which are not consistent with the food safety program
- Take corrective action within level of responsibility
- Report any corrective action to supervisor and according to legislative and organisation documentation requirements
Download the HLTFSE001 Follow Basic Food Safety Practices qualification information for the full course details.
CTA Training Specialists is responsible for ensuring compliance and conducts regular reviews on all of its training programs. CTA Training Specialists will ensure that through the implementation of the Australian Qualifications Framework Issuance Policy that students will be issued the certification documentation to which they are entitled.