A Bartender’s Guide to What is RSA Certificate


One of the most frequently asked questions we get regarding RSA training is ‘What is RSA Certificate?’. Find out what RSA certificate you need to work in a bar serving alcohol around Australia. We clarify everything for you in simple terms.


Firstly, let’s answer this question – What is RSA Certificate?

If you want to work in the hospitality industry in Australia in a position where serving alcohol is involved, you are required to hold a current RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) certificate.

You might get confused by what is RSA certificate from all the information out there and which is the correct RSA course for you.

An RSA certificate is a document that indicates you have successfully completed RSA training in Australia and signifies that you have the skills and knowledge to provide alcohol to customers responsibly.

If you complete your RSA training with an approved training provider like us, your RSA certificate will be a Statement of Attainment, which means it will be recognised as a formal training unit across Australia (you can view the SITHFAB002 Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol unit here).

However, some States in Australia require you to hold a different RSA certificate in order to work in a licensed venue, such as New South Wales who require you to hold an Interim Certificate.


What’s the difference? What is RSA Certificate from Online vs RSA Certificate from a Classroom Course?

Some States and Territories accept RSA certificates from an online RSA course, while other States require you to complete a classroom course to get your RSA certificate.

Each Australian State and Territory have different requirements for you to work with liquor, which means if you are travelling or backpacking across Australia and working in hospitality, you might need to complete a couple of RSA courses.

Check with your training provider that their RSA course is recognised in the State you want to work in.


What is RSA Certificate – Accepted Methods of Study per State:

The following is a list of different States and Territories in Australia and what RSA training they recognise:









If you are a Bartender looking to travel around Australia and work behind a bar:

We recommend that you complete the following RSA training course with us to ensure you can work around most of Australia and then you can upgrade this course for a NSW Interim Certificate or complete a classroom RSA course in Victoria: SITFAB002 Provide responsible service of alcohol

Happy training!