What is Responsible Service of Alcohol Training?

What is Responsible Service of Alcohol Training?

Any person looking to work in the Australian hospitality industry serving alcohol needs to complete Responsible Service of Alcohol Training.

RSA training is designed to combat the negative effects of alcohol consumption on the community and individuals.

Depending on which Australian State you would like to work with alcoholic drinks in, will depend on which Responsible Service of Alcohol training course you will need to take. Some State Governments allow people to complete their RSA training online, while other States require a classroom RSA course.

Club Training Australia’s national RSA; SITHFAB002 Responsible Service of Alcohol training is currently valid in Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia & the Northern Territory, and can be completed face-to-face or online. After successful completion of training, students are issued with a Statement of Attainment. Once obtained, this certificate does not expire.

For information on the training required in New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory, please refer to the below links:

Let’s take a look at what is Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) training?

Often called an “RSA”, if you want a job in hospitality serving and selling alcohol such as cocktails, spirits, beer or wine, you will need an RSA certification before you can start your job.

In Australia, when you complete the training, you will receive an official Responsible Service of Alcohol certificate such as an RSA Statement of Attainment or Interim RSA Certificate for NSW.

The Statement of Attainment certificate is a nationally recognised certificate and often, other States in Australia will recognise this and allow you to work with alcohol in multiple States.

We call this a National RSA Certificate.


Who needs to complete the Responsible Service of Alcohol training course?

RSA training is important for anyone involved in the sale and supply of alcoholic beverages to the public. There are some exceptions to who needs to complete RSA training, however it is important for hospitality venues and licensees to ensure their staff members have completed this mandatory RSA training.

Having this knowledge helps to avoid the risks of unduly intoxicated patrons, community issues, OLGR concerns, fines or even breaking the law with underage drinking or alcohol negligence.

All licensees must ensure the following people have a current SITHFAB002 Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol Statement of Attainment:

  • the licensee (if an individual)
  • any member of the staff of the licensed premises who is involved in the service or supply of liquor at the premises.

Staff members involved in the service or supply of liquor include approved managers, bartenders, glass collectors, floor staff and room service staff.


Are volunteers required to do RSA training in QLD?

Volunteers serving or supplying alcohol will not be required to hold a current RSA training course certificate if performing duties under one of the following licence categories:

  • community club licence
  • community other licence
  • community liquor permit
  • restricted liquor permit

In these instances, the licensee or permit holder must take reasonable steps to ensure there is a person with a current SITHFAB002 Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol training to supervise the volunteers.

Best practice is; anyone involved in the service or supply of liquor at a licensed premises is required to complete the SITHFAB002 Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol training.


Where is the best place to get your Responsible Service of Alcohol training?

Responsible Service of Alcohol training is very important when you are involved in the hospitality industry. This will give you the skills to deal with high-risk situations involving alcohol including learning how to refuse service of alcohol to a drunk or unduly intoxicated customer.

Training with a Registered Training Organisation who has been involved in the industry for over 25 years like Club Training Australia is the key to ensuring you are getting the best quality RSA training available and not a fake certificate that could land you in trouble with the law.


Training Register

All licensees are required to keep an up-to-date training register that contains:

  • copies of current training course certificates for staff
  • the expiry date of all current training course certificates
  • information relating to training staff involved in the service or supply of liquor at the licensed premises.

The register must be made available at the premises for inspection by an OLGR investigator.

There are penalties for licensees who do not ensure all staff involved in the service or supply of liquor have a current RSA certificate issued by an OLGR-approved trainer like Club Training Australia.


How do I enrol in the RSA online course?

Click through to our online store and begin your Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) training immediately. Enrolment in our online course takes under three (3) minutes and you are granted instant access to our Learning Management System (LMS). Complete your training course in approximately four (4) hours and receive your RSA certificate via email once your USI  has been verified and final video assessment has been successfully graded.


Why not bundle your Responsible Service of Alcohol Training and save with the RSA Extreme or RSA All-Rounder course package!