Types of Liquor Licensing in New South Wales, Pt. 3 | RSA Online NSW

This article tackles the limited liquor licences applicable within the jurisdiction of New South Wales, as well as establishments that may not need a liquor licence. RSA Online NSW courses and NSW competency cards are still required of servers of alcohol. It is advised that servers and/or business owners have their certification papers or competency cards on hand during the conduct of events covered by limited licences.

Limited Licence – Special Event

The limited licence (special event) is for temporary or infrequent events that directly and significantly benefit (socially or economically) the community on a regional, state, or national level. The licence allows for the service of alcohol at a venue that doesn’t hold one – provided that the selling and supplying of alcohol is not the sole reason for the event. The event must also qualify as a Special Event under the Liquor Act 2007.

Limited Licence – Trade Fair

This licence gives organisations and businesses from a specific industry the permission to sell or supply alcohol for consumption or takeaway at trade fairs or exhibitions. Examples of trade fairs are wine shows, food shows, travel shows, and outdoor equipment shows. Application for a Limited Licence (Trade Fair) must be submitted at least 28 days before the date of the event. Application and late fee charges apply.

Limited Licence – Single Function

The limited licence (single function) allows not-for-profit organisations to sell alcohol for consumption during a single event and within the venue only. The licence doesn’t allow for the sale or service of takeaway alcohol. Events that fall under the limited licence (single function) are balls, conventions, dinners, exhibitions, fairs, performances, and other events or activities that are intended for public amusement or entertainment, or for raising funds for charitable purposes.

Limited Licence – Multiple Functions

A limited licence for multiple functions allows for non-profit organisations like sports clubs and community groups to sell alcohol for consumption for up to 52 functions in a year. The sale and service of alcohol may only be done at the function, as well as the consumption of alcohol. Non-profit organisations, however, may be eligible to sell alcohol without needing a limited licence, for a limited number of times per year.

There are also instances when a liquor licence is not required. Bed and breakfast establishments are not required to have a liquor licence, as well as smaller accommodation venues such as farm-stays. Retirement villages do not need liquor licences but are required to have a resident committee member or nominee present to supervise the sale and supply of alcohol and the general conduct of the gathering.

Cruise vessels, aircraft, hospitals and nursing homes are likewise exempt under specific conditions. Gift baskets and flowers may include alcohol, under specific conditions. Auctions may have the sale of alcohol present during and only within the conduct of the event.

For more details, enquiries may be sent through to the Liquor & Gaming NSW. The Liquor Act 2007 and the Liquor Regulation 2018 is also available through L&G NSW for perusal.

To study RSA Online NSW and obtain the knowledge and skills to serve alcohol responsibly to patrons within the licenced venue, enquire and enrol at CTA Training Specialists.