The effective training of RSA QLD staff is essential. Staff will need to understand responsible service strategies if these strategies are to be successful. Ideally all staff should be included in training sessions, to ensure that there are consistent standards.
- Clearly state their expectations of staff
- Give staff authority to make decisions
- Consider how to support decisions made by their staff.
This can be achieved by having:
- A written house policy
- An incident report book
- A review and debrief on incidents
- Regular staff meetings.
Staff should know they have the backing of management. With this support, staff will be more comfortable implementing the strategy for the Responsible Service of Alcohol.
You should train RSA staff to record all incidents for a variety of reasons:
- It can be used as a learning tool and can assist in communication between staff and management
- It provides an accurate record for police, company or insurance purposes
- It can help prevent similar incidents from happening again.
The record should include the following:
- What happened
- Who was involved
- How it was dealt with
- Whether police were called.
You may also wish to record the names of any witnesses and their contact information.