RMLV: Promotion of Alcohol at Events

Responsible Management of alcohol at eventsAre you thinking of holding an event at your venue?  Or are you a ‘first time’ event manager eager to hold the hottest festival in town?  If you plan on providing alcohol at your event, there are a couple of things you should know.

Many festivals in Australia generally involve alcohol, which can add to the atmosphere and enjoyment for patrons if responsibly managed.  To keep your event fun and avoid disaster by risking the safety of your patrons, here are the eight (8) guidelines of alcohol management:

Permit conditions:  General purpose permits are endorsed with a set of conditions that must be understood and relayed to staff who will be serving alcohol.  Based on your information supplied to the Liquor Licensing Division, these conditions may alter depending on the conduct of the event.

BYO and non-BYO events:  The Liquor Act 1992 prohibits the consumption of alcohol in a public place.  This excludes public areas such as BYO restaurants or places covered by a liquor licence permit.  It is recommended that events do not allow BYO liquor, as it is difficult to monitor and manage on a large scale.

Responsible Service of Alcohol: As stated in the Liquor Act 1992, it is an offence to service alcohol to a person under the age of 18 or who is unduly intoxicated or disorderly.  Ensure that each staff member who will be serving alcohol on the day has a valid RSA certificate, and provide communication that informs patrons and staff of the consequences of breaching these requirements.

Minors:  It is best practice to ensure that patrons are marked appropriately before entering the event, particularly if it is an all-ages production.  Ensure that underage patrons are clearly marked through a system of coloured wrist ties, tickets or stamps.  If there is any doubt, ask to see valid identification.

Beverage options:  Consider what strength of alcohol will be provided.  For example: at a music festival, it is wise to avoid selling high strength alcoholic beverages, and provide plenty of non-alcoholic soft drinks and water.

Beverage containers:  It’s common for alcohol-related incidents to be caused by glass containers and cans.  Using plastic cups and serving opened cans is an effective way to minimise alcohol-related harm.

Trading hours:  Standard trading hours for liquor generally start at 10am and conclude at 12 midnight.  You should consider the duration of your event and provision of entertainment to determine the hours of trading.  Make sure you contact police and local council to advise them of your proposed event hours.

Alcohol consumption areas:  Under a General Purpose Permit, alcohol must be consumed in a designated area.  You must ensure that physical barriers such as boxes, fencing or walls will be used to cordon off the area to underage patrons.

Do you think you or your staff could benefit from an RMLV certificate?  Check our course page to find a class near you.