Reporting dangerous incidents

Do you know to report a dangerous incident?One of the things you learn when studying a Certificate IV in OHS is your responsibility to notify the state government of dangerous incidents.

What is a dangerous incident?

A dangerous incident is any incident that occurs at a workplace which exposes any person to a serious risk to health or safety resulting from  exposure to:

  • an escape, spillage or leakage of a chemical or substance
  • an implosion, explosion or fire
  • an escape of gas or steam
  • an escape of a pressurised substance
  • electric shock (note: a serious electrical incident or a dangerous electrical event are each notifable under the Electrical Safety Regulation
  • the fall or release from a height of any plant, substance or thing )
  • the collapse, overturning, failure or malfunction of, or damage to, any plant that is required to be authorised for use in accordance with the regulations
  • the collapse or partial collapse of a structure
  • the collapse or failure of an excavation or of any shoring supporting an excavation
  • the inrush of water, mud or gas in workings, in an underground excavation or tunnel
  • the interruption of the main system of ventilation in an underground excavation or tunnel.

Who is responsible for notifying?

The person conducting a business or undertaking (PCUB) is required to notify government immediately after becoming aware of the dangerous incident occurring.

How do I notify?

You should notify by the fastest possible means: phone, fax or email to the governing body for workplace health and safety in your state.

Undertaking a Certificate IV in Occupational Health and Safety teaches you the procedures to follow to prevent, manage and control dangerous incidents.