Noise Restrictions on Licensed Premises

Regulate your venue’s noise levelsIs your venue getting complaints?  It may be time to turn down the sound.  OLGR approximately receives 33% of licensed venue complaints which are attributed to loud entertainment or noisy patrons.  As a Responsible Manager, you must ensure that noise coming from your establishment does not exceed the noise limit – that is a part of your licence’s conditions.

This includes noise from:

  • Entertainment

  • Patrons at, entering or leaving the premises

  • Motors, including generators and air conditioning units.

To ensure that your venue doesn’t incur agitation from your neighbours, local residents and businesses – keep noise levels to 75 decibels, if no entertainment is conducted at your venue or if no acoustic report is submitted.

If your venue does have an acoustic report that allows the provision of entertainment, here is a guide that outlines decibel levels:

  • Person talking normally at 1m — 60 to 65 decibels

  • Piped restaurant music — 65 to 75 decibels

  • Video disk background music — 80 to 95 decibels

  • Soloists/duos — 85 to 105 decibels

  • Other small bands — 95 to 110 decibels

  • Small rock band — 105 to 120 decibels.

Don’t forget that CTA offers a comprehensive RMLV certification that includes RSA.  Responsible Managers of Licenced Venues can’t operate without one. Don’t let yours expire.