What is the key to success when working in the hospitality industry? The answer is something so simple and yet one of the hardest things to master for most – communication. Your success in the hospitality industry depends on your ability to communicate with not only customers, but also your colleagues and management. You must be able to communicate with these parties verbally as well as through other communication channels, such as your body language, appearance, tone of voice, and the ability to listen to what is being said at all times.
Clear communication using a wide range of communication channels will improve your relationships with your colleagues and will also enhance your customer service, enabling you to form relationships with customers.
When communicating with and serving customers you should:
- Make a great first impression
- Take care in your appearance
- Face the customer
- Maintain eye contact if possible
- Establish rapport with the customer
- Address the customer by name, or try and find out the customer’s name for future use
- Listen attentively
- Ask questions within the topic of conversation
- Maintain good posture
- Stay at a social distance, about one meter, when speaking to customers
- React immediately to a customer’s query or complaint
When interacting with and serving customers you should avoid:
- Touching the customers
- Using bad language
- Giving personal observations, opinions or criticisms
- Rudeness such as ignoring calls for attention or interrupting a customer’s conversation without saying, “excuse me” first
Completing a Certificate III in Hospitality is a great starting point and will enable and provide you with the information and experience required to master communication that you will need to succeed in the hospitality industry, as it truly is the key to success. This is as the hospitality is an industry that requires you to be able to work as a team and with customers, and effective communication is absolutely essential. For more information, contact us today on (07) 3878 8977 or email@example.com, we would be more than happy to have a chat and discuss what would work best for you. Get started today!