Customer Liaison Officer’s need to have a good understanding of the counselling services available to patrons who are concerned about their gambling behaviour.
It is very difficult for a person with a gambling problem to admit that they want help so you want to feel confident that the information you provide will help them.
Always remember that you are not a trained counsellor so the best way to help the patron is to outline some of the services and then help them contact a Gambling Help Service.
The 1800 858 858 Helpline provides telephone support 24/7. It is free, professional and confidential. The Helpline counsellors are there to help you deal with any of gambling related issues.
Telephone counselling and support is available for all people affected by gambling, including family and friends. So if someone approaches you about a family member you can refer them as well as patrons with gambling problems.
What the patron can expect when calling the Helpline:
- Someone who will understand and listen to their concerns
- A qualified professional who will answer their questions
- Referral to face-to-face gambling help services
- Written information posted upon request
- Crisis management and referral
- Someone who can provide them with strategies to help them achieve their goals
- Access to interpreter services for those from non-English speaking backgrounds
The Helpline is in each state, so it offers immediate access to a counsellor who can provide counselling, information and referral to a range of support services relevant to Queensland.
Club Training Australia offers an online training course specifically for Customer Liaison Officers which give you the confidence to discuss Gambling Help Services with patrons who are concerned about their gambling activities.