The 1800 858 858 Gambling Helpline provides telephone support 24/7. It is free, professional and confidential. The Helpline counsellors are there to help patrons deal with any gambling related issues.
Telephone counselling, and support, is available for all people affected by gambling, including family and friends. So if someone approaches you about a family member, you can refer them as well as patrons with gambling problems.
What the patron can expect when calling the Helpline:
• Someone who will understand and listen to their concerns
• A qualified professional who will answer their questions
• Referral to face-to-face gambling help services
• Written information posted upon request
• Crisis management and referral
• Someone who can provide them with strategies to help them achieve their goals
• Access to interpreter services for those with non-English speaking backgrounds
The Helpline is in each state, so it offers immediate access to a counsellor who can provide counselling, information and referral to a range of support services relevant to Queensland.
The online environment may not be suitable for patrons if they are currently in a crisis situation. If they are seeking help for a medical emergency or crisis involving personal safety (e.g. suicidal feelings, domestic violence or homicide), please contact one of the Emergency support services contact numbers listed for immediate telephone assistance.
Understanding the gambling counselling services available by telephone will help you become a more effective Customer Liaison Officer.