Evidence of age at licensed venues in NSW

Responsible service of AlcoholBy law, licensees, RSA staff, police and OLGR compliance officers can require a young person to produce identification to verify their age. A person commits an offence where they fail to produce prescribed evidence of age or refuse to provide their details.

Evidence of age                              

If a person who appears to be under the legal drinking age (i.e. under 18) attempts to enter a licensed venue or to buy alcohol, you are required to ask for proof of age.

Acceptable primary evidence of age in NSW includes:

  • A current Australian passport or other country’s passport

  • A current NSW, interstate or overseas driver or motor cycle driver licence (or interstate equivalent)

  • An interstate Proof of Age Card

  • NSW Photo Card

All primary forms of evidence of age must contain a photograph and date of birth. Door and bar staff must check the authenticity of the identification being offered and to examine it closely in proper light. If you suspect that the patron’s ID could be false, ask for secondary identification.

Secondary identification         

If you are unsure of the patron’s ID or club membership card, you can ask for secondary identification which could include:

  • Corporate ID card

  • Current credit card

  • Current entitlement card issued by a state or commonwealth government department, e.g. Medicare Card

To assist RSA staff with determining the validity of the documents provided by patrons, venues should keep an up-to-date copy of the Australian ID Checking Guide.