Produce creative and innovative desserts and sweets using a range of contemporary ingredients. One of the most fun units compiling the Certificate III in Hospitality (Commercial Cookery) is SITHCCC013A, Prepare hot and cold desserts.
During this unit you will gain the technical skills to create sensational desserts but you will also gain additional background knowledge such as:
- current as well as past trends in desserts and sweets
- details and characteristics of different types of desserts and sweets
- varieties of contemporary ingredients for desserts and sweets
- culinary terms commonly used in the industry
- nutrition related to desserts and sweets, including food values of common desserts and low-fat or low-kilojoule alternatives and substituted ingredients
- storage of sweets, desserts and dessert ingredients, particularly dairy products
- costing, yield testing and portion control for desserts.
A career as a chef enables you to specialise in the foods that you are passionate about. Maybe it’s creating your own dessert masterpiece?