Control of Entertainment Noise

Controlling noise levelsProviding live entertainment at your venue is a great way to encourage patronage from the local community as well as supporting musicians in your area.  When managed correctly, it can become a major drawcard for your venue.

However, when applying for a liquor license or a variation of one, the Chief Executive may impose conditions or make a decision based on the sound retention qualities of your premises.

Any application relating to a license, where the main activity is the provision of entertainment, must have due regard and awareness of the following conditions:

1. If you do not intend to use amplified equipment (such as amps) on the premises or if you’re not prepared to undergo an acoustic audit, the following conditions will be imposed:

a)    Keep amplified or non-amplified noise and patron noise below 75dB at fast response when measured 3meters from the primary source of the noise.

b)    You must not use or install amplified equipment such as microphones or speakers in any outdoor area, veranda, patio, footpath or garden area of the premises.

2. If you decide to undergo an acoustic report, you must comply with the following condition:

a)    Noise emanating from the premises, including amplified or non-amplified noise and patron noise, must not exceed the decibel unit outlined in the report at fast response approximately 3meters from the source.

If the report outlines a recommendation for outdoor amplification, ‘Conditions 1(a) and 1(b)’ will be imposed on public areas not covered by the report.  For all areas covered by the report, ‘Condition 2(a)’ applies.

Depending on the structure and location of your venue, the acoustic report may include provisions that may relate to issues such as closing windows and doors for the duration of the entertainment.

Any application that relates to a commercial (subsidiary on-premises) license where providing entertainment is the principle service such as a nightclub, an acoustic report must be submitted.

To find out more on noise regulations, an RMLV training course can assist you in determining the best course of action when providing entertainment within your venue.