Most of the bar equipment you use when working in hospitality establishments will need to be cleaned on a cyclic basis. This means that some items will need to be attended to on a daily basis whilst other may require attendance on a weekly or monthly basis. For example:
- The seals around refrigerator doors will need to be thoroughly cleaned on a weekly basis, to minimise the spread and growth of mould and fungi
- Glass door display refrigerators will need to be cleaned daily
All cleaning schedules should have the following information:
- What needs to be cleaned?
- Who is responsible for cleaning or initials of staff member who completed the task?
- When does it need to be cleaned (after use, daily, weekly, monthly)?
- Clear instructions on the method of cleaning?
- Any specialised equipment or cleaning agent that needs to be used.
- Any safety precautions or material safety data sheets.
A Certificate III in Hospitality will teach you how to develop and follow a cleaning schedule in your bar area.